Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Powering Europe with Solar Energy from the Sahara

OK, I know it is rather naive to assume that we can solve all the world's problems with technology. But, you have to admit that when you hear stories like this one, maybe technology can solve a heck of lot of it. This really gives me hope for the future.

I had originally heard some mention of this some while back on BBC World. The interviewee was "talking" about building solar plants in North Africa. And I've heard bits and pieces about "soon-to-arrive" solar plants in the US southwest. Now, check out this New Scientist article from yesterday:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20427311.400-solar-superpower-should-europe-run-on-sahara-sun.html
I think this says it all: "The project could meet 15% of Europe's energy needs by 2050."

While I agree it does create some new and unusual dynamics with political relationships with North African countries, isn't this an avenue worth considering? Personally, I think it would be great to see a net economic negative (little ag, low commerce, few resources) turned into a net positive (commercially viable source of green electricity). It's worth thinking about!

Stay inspired!

Cheers,
Maurice
www.voiceone.fi

No comments:

Post a Comment