Friday, January 29, 2010

Book of the week: Terry Pratchett's Discworld series

Well, I'll take a hit here and admit I like comedy fantasy books. I think this solidifies my reputation as a geek. On the other hand, I strongly believe the two most creative forms of writing are comedy and sci-fi/fantasy. (I'm sure to get a nasty note from someone about that.)

My favorites include Robert Rankin, Tom Holt and Terry Pratchett. While I had read Pratchett's "Johnny and the Bomb" series, the hilarious armageddon book "Good Omens" with Neil Gaiman, and one aptly titled children's book "The Amazing Maurice", I had failed to read any Discworld books until last Father's day (November in Finland) when my wife bought me "The Folklore of Discworld". I had of course heard of the Discworld series, it tends to take up a lot of shelfspace in the Sci-Fi / Fantasy section of any bookstore. However, I thought I would need to start reading him from the beginning. Not so.

Since reading that first one, I have read about 10 more, most over the Christmas holidays. I must say that I found only one so-so one in the bunch. It's hard enough creating characters, let alone an entire world to put them in. Pratchett seems to do it effortlessly.

Stay inspired!

Cheers,
Maurice
Voice One
www.voiceone.fi

No comments:

Post a Comment