Thursday, November 5, 2009

Creativity and Comedy: Russell Peters

Comedy has always been a part of my life. Since I was a kid, my dad was always joking and clowning around. And I picked up the comedy bug at an early age. When I was at the University of Lethbridge, I used to host a radio show. I played about 50% Punk Rock and 50% Comedy albums. Today, I listen to comedy almost daily through internet radio. Now, beyond the fact that I love making people laugh, I am also interested in comedy from an academic perspective. As you probably know, at the core of brilliant(!) comedy is serious(!) creativity. The art of comedy relies on setting up a situation. You make people think you are going one direction. But at the last moment, you take them some place unexpected. An example from George Carlin:
I like Florida. Everything is in the 80’s. The temperatures, the ages and the IQ’s.
Now, I'll be adding stand-up comedy selections every week. This week I wanted to start with a Canadian called Russell Peters. His comedy often deals with growing up Indian in Canada. Very funny guy!
Warning: Not Suitable For Work (NSFW).



Stay inspired!

Cheers,
Maurice
www.voiceone.fi

No comments:

Post a Comment